Friday, March 9, 2007

A Reflection

One Hundred Years of Solitude is actually a lot more interesting than I originally had thought. The two first paragraphs really put me off, but I sacrificed myself until the end of the first chapter, and then I was hooked. I really like the way time and "science" is incorporated. They way things sometime become confusing PURPOSELY. My favorite part of this book though is how detailed it is. It described pretty much everything which in the end makes a successful mental image. I have a clear image of Macondo in my mind, I can imagine the characters, AB's tattoos and strong arms, Pilar's pregnant belly, and Rebeca's eyes when she was discovered to have insomnia. It's a great book. It's very difficult for me to get disgusted, but this book, in its detailed writing has done just that. I have been through emotional up and downs along with the characters. The writing made me feel when Remedio's died. I find it to be a great book up until now.

March 15
It's nice to see that Macondo has become a "modern" town. I mean from the village it was at the very beginning where it is now, it has come a long way. In terms of politics, in terms of construction, in terms of the population. It's great to see the way things have advanced, I had never actually imagined the way a group of people grow into a town. Then after running out names, it has actually become a bit more confusing since now the author is throwing in re-recycled names which blur the lines of reality and identity which to me is interesting. I am very delighted at the "confusion" of the twins.

March 26
After years, and years, wars and wars, fights and fights, births and births, we finally an industrialized, but nonetheless repetitive Macondo. The main difference now is the diversity of people, but as the book focuses on the Buendia family, it is merely a repetition of characters- almost as if they had been re-incarnated. Traits are inherited with names, and names are not chosen at random. Confusion seems to be a general theme in this book, or maybe the theme is just "things that make me ask why?".

6 comments:

mbrown8625 said...

1st, let me say that I like that you changed your last name to buendia! I also like that you incoporate humorous quotes with those that are serious. You wrote excellently and present great ideas.

Your Grade: A
Keep up the good work!

mbrown8625 said...

Hey, no smart comments Mr. Buendia!! :-) your grade will be posted shortly

Bee said...

Hey Ruffles! You did a good job on your AR. It was really interesting. Your reflection was reallly good (notice the triple l). Your grade is an "A."
Keep up the excellent work!

Aurora said...

ahaha.

naco.

mkmcguan said...

Mr. Buendia,
Nice work on your blog! My favorite parts are the reflection and which quotes students pick. I know you guys are working hard - I am impressed. Keep up the awesome work!

mbrown8625 said...

Your reflections and AR are the first to discuss the industrialization of Macondo (and I know you want to discuss technology and the ways it drives the characters of the text) Great job!!!

You stopped at ch. 15. These chapters are thorough and complete and I'm please with the work you've done thus far.

However, you stopped at ch. 15. Therefore, your ch. 11-20 AR grade is a C- (which takes into account the outstanding work you did for ch. 11-15). Finish the work and we can discuss partial credit for the rest.

I know your frustrated. I understand and respect it. Keep trying. Keep working at a steady pace and you'll do an outstanding job.