Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Personal Response: In regards to language

I am one of those fortunate people that by a draw of luck got to learn two languages- So when literature is available in English or Spanish, I tend to like to read it in it's original language or in the closest language out of the two. I do not know how different or how similar the experience of reading OHYoS in Spanish is versus reading it in English but what I CAN say is that the Spanish experience was great. Out of the books I have read in the language, this one was the one that had a great usage of the language (not anywhere near the level of Don Quijote though). The vocabulary used was not very difficult yet it remained very descriptive. In a novel, the words usually do not 'flow', but I felt that Marquez did such a great job with the language that the words felt like water as opposed to a house working up in structure. I have a love/hate relationship with the language though, because I thought that there was not a very extensive vocabulary used, it is very commendable that even with that the author communicated everything he wanted to communicate. My favorite "section" in the book was when Remedios The Beauty killed men with the guiltiness of their love to such an innocent creature, but what really made this part of the book was the usage of the language. I had never found so many emotions and descriptive words lumped together to make a story. Death, beauty, love, guiltiness, innocence, protection and freedom were all in one place in one time, and the language flow used to describe all of it is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read, as detached from reality as it was. The personification of the violence towards the end of the book is also amazing, again, the language usage is not a beautiful as that of Cervantes but it is none-the-less on its own very great. I will definitely be reading another GGM book some time in the near future.

No comments: